The country gears up to become an industrialized middle-income country by 2025. In line with this vision we have decided to put greater accent on building a strong industrial base. To this end, Tanzania has set up Export Processing Zones (EPZs) and Special Economic Zones (SEZs) as ponds of industrial growth and services to promote export trade. The EPZ scheme promotes investment in manufacturing sector mainly for export while SEZ scheme involves other sectors such as agriculture, trade, tourism, mining, and forestry.
- Tanzania offers generous fiscal incentives under the Export Processing Zone/Special Economic Zone (EPZ/SEZ) schemes to attract Foreign Direct Investments (FDIs) and Domestic Direct Investments (DDIs). Please visit http://www.epza.go.tz/index.php
- Any investor can qualify to invest under Special Economic Zone Scheme provided he fulfils only these simple criteria.
i. The investment must be new.
ii. Annual export turnover should not be less than US$ 5 million for foreign investors and US$ 1 million for local investors.
iii. Adequate environmental protection systems.
iv. Utilization of modern production process and new machinery.
v. Investments must only be located in SEZ industrial parks.
An investor might choose to invest but not limited to the following sectors:
- Agriculture and agricultural products.
- Metal products, machinery and transport equipment.
- Electronics and electrical appliances
- Chemical, paper and plastics.
- Light industries.
- Mining, ceramics and gemstones.